How to Get Your Accident Report

How to Get Your Accident Report

Getting Your Police Report in Connecticut


Getting into a car accident is stressful enough, but not knowing what to do after it happens can make the situation seem overwhelming. What you do directly following an accident significantly impacts your ability to seek compensation for damages.
If you’re a Connecticut driver and you’ve recently been involved in a collision, an accident report is counted as factual evidence to support your account of the wreck in a court of law. It is easy to do and critical for your legal protection. The following page offers a quick guide for how to get an accident report in the state of Connecticut.

Steps To Requesting Your Accident Report

When a collision happens, there are negligent drivers who may go to extreme lengths to avoid paying for the harm they’ve caused. Without valid evidence to prove otherwise, it’s possible for the other party to make false claims about what happened.


An accident report is substantial evidence that will hold up against the lies of a negligent driver. These reports set the bar and help prove your claim for damages, if you qualify for them.
Following an accident, you should obtain an Accident Information Summary as well as a report from the appropriate responding law enforcement agency, such as a Police Report.
An Accident Information Summary provides preliminary information regarding your accident, individuals involved, vehicles involved, insurance information and a brief summary of what happened. This summary is available for 30 days from the date of the accident and is available for free on the DESPP website.

  • To obtain an accident report, first contact the Records Division of the law enforcement agency that responded to your accident (Highway Patrol, Police, Sherriff, Fire Department, etc). This contact information will vary from county to county.

An official Police Report can be requested several ways:

  • lists many, but not all, motor vehicle accident reports online. Unavailable accident reports, investigative reports and requests for certified copies must be submitted via mail.
  • Mailing a completed request form (DPS-96-C “Request for Copy of Report”) with payment to the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection.
  • Or you may contact our firm to collect this report on your behalf and at no cost to you.

The right attorney can help. Understanding an accident report can be confusing, as well as knowing what is in your best interest legally. A skilled legal professional can help you interpret and read your report, guiding you to make the best decision for your well-being.
At The Flood Law Firm, our attorneys devote the majority of our practice to helping car accident victims receive the compensation they deserve. To get started, simply fill out the contact form or call our offices at 877-987-9LAW for a free consultation with our legal team.

Brian Flood


Brian has dedicated his entire legal career to helping accident victims. By choice, he has never represented the interests of an insurance company.

Author's Bio

Request A Free Consultation

Fill out the form below and get help today.

"*" indicates required fields

*field required
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Footer Call To Action Image