If you are visiting this web page after recently being involved in a car accident, the first thing we want to tell you is, we are sorry it happened, and we understand what you are going though. Many of our team at The Flood Law Firm have been involved in car crashes and know how scary a collision can be, followed by the pain and financial impact it may cause.
If the medical bills are already arriving, or if the other party’s insurance company has started calling you, we want you to know you are now taking the responsible steps of researching lawyers and learning about your options and rights under Connecticut car accident law. Our goal is to help make this situation easier for you, so you don’t have to occupy your time with complex paperwork and harassing phone calls. We want you to focus on recovering and getting back to enjoying life, and we will focus on obtaining a maximum settlement or verdict on your behalf.
If you are interested in viewing our recoveries for clients, many of which hold more than a 30,000% increase over what the insurance company has offered, you may view our Case Results page here.
An Insurance Company Makes An Offer on your Auto Collision Claim
Why would someone need to hire a car accident attorney when most insurance companies will make you an “offer” anyways? The answer often lies within the question; if you even receive an “offer”, will it be enough to cover your medical bills, damage to your car, and missed work?
In most cases, the offer barely comes close.
If you would like to learn more about how we can help you and what you can expect, we invite you to take a moment to watch this video featuring our founding partners and clients who have been in your position.
For those of us unfortunate enough to suffer from common car accident injuries, the ensuing days, weeks, months and even years can be tough times. We hope to make this easier for you.
We understand that daily tasks before the accident can be difficult or even seem like impossible chores. Getting the mail, walking or dog, or worse, just trying to make it down a few steps on a cold winter day may be seem difficult. We understand, this is not an easy time.
This webpage has information compiled by experienced trial lawyers who seek fast turnarounds on behalf of clients who deserve auto accident settlements, and we will also take our client’s car accident case to court ensuring maximum compensation under the law.
This page also contains information about common accident causes, the injuries, why you should speak with car accident attorney even if you decide you don’t want to hire a lawyer. Many firms will talk about decades of experience however we do offer a list of recent accomplishments at our verdicts and settlements page. In one example our client was offered $0 for their case, and together we achieved a $1.1 million verdict on their behalf.
Car accidents involving other motorists result in serious injuries, hospitalization, rehabilitation, paralysis or worse. They result in steep medical bills, lost wages, forced retirement, disability and lost relationships.
Highways and roads in Connecticut are some of the busiest in New England, supporting commerce, commuters and trucking needs. Our beautiful state’s roads are shaded in trees and the natural landscape makes for often challenging driving conditions all contributing to the possibility of being involved in a car crash.
At The Flood Law Firm, we’re proud of the help we have offered to Connecticut residents who have been seriously injured in a car accident through no fault of their own. If you have recently been in a car accident, we have prepared a checklist you may find helpful.
“Everything was easy and they answered all of my questions, handled all of the paperwork, and everyone from the receptionist to Brian was great.” – Elizabeth S.
Three Tips to Improve Your Car Accident Case
Document and Take Pictures of your injuries
Keeping a journal of the pain, difficulties, and how the crash has effected you will help our lawyers deeply understand what you are going through. While we have helped hundreds of individuals in car crash claims previously, we all know that pain is unique to an individual.
Be Careful Using Social Media
Anything posted to social media can potentially be used against you! Insurance companies have well paid legal teams with often hundreds or lawyers and staff at their disposal. Their ability to comb through social media looking for evidence is impressive. Regardless of your privacy settings, there are often posts or a matter which is overlooked, or pictures may be found through a connection or friend.
Seeking Medical Attention
We understand that going to a doctor or hospital can be difficult, or expensive depending on you medical insurance situation. The fact is, if you are in pain meeting with a licensed medical doctor is the only way to determine what your exact injury may be, and how long it may take to recover. When pursuing a car crash claim, we will aggressively fight for all of your medical costs to be paid, as well as any foreseen future costs related to your accident.
Four Mistakes That May Hurt Your Car Wreck Claim
The leading cause of car accidents is distracted driving, and developments in technology have only made this problem worse. Texting, talking on the phone and using a GPS device have joined eating and drinking as notable distractions that can take your attention off the road – and all it takes is a few seconds for a car crash to occur.
Driving under the influence
Driving under the influence impairs drivers’ reaction times, and is a common cause of auto crashes that needlessly endanger people every day. The Flood Law Firm has no tolerance for drunk drivers, and you should not have to suffer because of someone else’s lack of responsibility.
Speeding is excessively common on the road, and it is an equally common factor in car crashes that injure or kill people. High speeds make it much more difficult to stop or react in time to an unforeseen situation, and injuries sustained from a high-speed crash are typically much more serious.
Running stop signs and red lights
Running stop signs and red lights is extremely reckless and often causes disastrous side-impact collisions. These actions exhibit a blatant disregard for other people’s lives. If you’ve been hit by someone who ran a stop sign or a red light, you deserve full compensation for your damages, pain and suffering.
Tailgating puts you at unnecessary risk from drivers who are reckless and impatient. Positioning their car so close to yours both makes you uncomfortable as a driver, and decreases their reaction time if you need to brake or stop.
The physical, mental and emotional toll these injuries can take on you and your family can seem overwhelming. You will be forced to navigate through a maze of medical bills and insurance forms.
You will be forced to deal with insurance adjusters asking questions, taking recorded statements and asking you to sign legal documents that you may not understand.
You do not need to deal with these matters alone. That’s why you need a lawyer to protect your rights from the beginning.
Injuries from a car collision are often serious or life-threatening, sometimes requiring weeks, months or years of recovery time. Some people may never recover at all. The list of injuries that negligent drivers inflict on innocent people includes:
- Broken bones
- Neck pain
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Knee damage
The most important priority after an accident is your health. If there are injuries, call 911 immediately and get medical attention. Even major injuries can take time to present, and a physician should examine you as soon as possible to determine the extent of the damage. Brain injuries are commonly associated with car crashes, and even if there is no visible sign of injury, the brain may be bruised or a concussion could be present.
Important Tip: Remember to obtain a medical report from your attending physicians as well. This will provide documentation of your injuries that may help build your case when seeking compensation for the car crash.
“I have been an attorney for over 35 years and I know a lot of lawyers. I knew exactly who to call to represent me when I was in a car accident. The Flood Law Firm will get a good result for someone that they can’t get by using other attorneys.” – Tom McDonough, Esq.
If you feel able in the moments after a crash, here are some steps to take that may prove helpful in winning a potential lawsuit:
- Make sure all cars stay in place. Moving the cars involved in a crash can compromise the police’s ability to determine fault.
- Call the police. A police report documenting the details of the scene may be instrumental when filing a claim with your insurance company. Provide information as asked, but do not admit to any fault when speaking to police.
- Record everything. If you have a cell phone or camera with you, take pictures and video of the damage to all vehicles involved, and of any injuries you sustained.
- Obtain contact information from the other driver, including their name, address, phone number, driver’s license number and insurance information. Take down the information of anyone who witnessed the accident as well, as their testimony could help to strengthen your claim and increase your odds of winning just compensation.
- Report to your insurance company that you have been involved in an auto accident, but do not provide any written or recorded statements – especially to the other driver’s insurance company – about the crash until you consult with a car accident lawyer.
- Contact an attorney. Speaking with an experienced car accident lawyer will help you understand what type of steps to take going forward and how much money you may be eligible to receive in compensation.
Why You Need a Advocate for Your Car Accident
This is your life, and you deserve compensation from the suffering a car accident can bring. The law in CT gives you the right to:
• Get back what was taken from you
• File a claim or car accident lawsuit against negligent drivers
• Hire a competent auto accident lawyer to litigate your case to seek the best possible settlement
• If necessary, take your case to trial, where your attorney will present evidence of fault against the other driver and evidence of your injuries to gain due compensation. Be aware, many law firm’s avoid going to court as it may be too time consuming and costly. We have a proven record of holding insurance companies accountable and our lawyers will go to court when an insurance company will not offer just compensation for our client’s injuries
It’s vital you speak to a car accident attorney as soon as possible after a crash. They will ensure that the proper claims are filed in a timely manner, investigate the accident and advise you on your legal rights to compensation for:
- Medical expenses, including emergency and hospital care, physical therapy and rehabilitation.
- Lost wages from time missed at work due to injury from the auto accident.
- Pain and suffering that you and your family have experienced as a result of the car crash, including compensation for grief, distress and anguish.
Facts About The Flood Law Firm
- Member of The American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
Brian Flood is a member of the invitation only legal association making up many of the best trial lawyers in the country who adhere to ABOTA’s Principles of Civility, Integrity & Professionalism.
- Personal Injury Hall of Fame, The Connecticut Law Journal
Chris Flood was inducted to the Personal Injury Hall of Fame after obtaining multiple recoveries on behalf of his clients, including a $6,000,000 verdict on behalf of a client who injured in a car crash.
- Established in 2012, The Flood Law Firm brings together a family of lawyers who have served the community for decades.
If you have been involved in a serious personal injury or car accident, time is limited to seek compensation! Contact our firm 24 hours a day at 860-346-2695 for a confidential case evaluation, without an obligation to pursue. We look forward to helping and thank you for coming to our website.
We serve the entire state of Connecticut and have offices in the following locations for your convenience:
The Checklist will help ensure that:
- You record necessary information about the other drivers and vehicles involved.
- You properly assess the damage to your vehicle
- You document potential evidence at the scene
- You are aware of your legal rights